In the years since their debut on screen, the characters from the Transformers franchise have left an indelible mark on generations of fans. Few iterations have captured hearts quite like the animal-themed robots from Beast Wars: Transformers. Now, Transformers: Rise of the Beasts is set to both reimagine the Transformers narrative and pay homage to the beloved animated series. Directed by Steven Caple Jr. and featuring a screenplay by Darnell Metayer, Erich Hoeber, Jon Hoeber, and Josh Peters, based on a story by Joby Harold, this film marks the seventh installment in the Transformers series. Serving as a sequel to Bumblebee, Transformers: Rise of the Beasts is set to introduce a host of new characters to the franchise.
- Will Smith’s Comeback Attempt: How He Plans to Regain Movie Star Status With ‘Bad Boys 4’ and Netflix’s ‘Fast and Loose’
- ‘Kill’ Review: Nikhil Nagesh Bhat’s Action Film Is Bloody Brilliant | TIFF 2023
- Where to Watch and Stream ‘Evil Dead Rise’: Showtimes and Digital Release Date
- Avatar: The Way of Water Sets 4K UHD, Blu-Ray, and DVD Release Date
- ‘Saturday Night Live’ Could Return in October As Writers Await WGA Greenlight to Return
Given the immense popularity of the Beast Wars characters, expectations for this movie are high. To help you keep up with all the latest details, we’ve compiled a comprehensive guide that includes information on the release date, trailer, cast, characters, plot, and much more.
Who Are the Maximals, Predacons, and Terrorcons?
Emerging from the late ’90s animated series Beast Wars: Transformers, the Maximals and Predacons represent the next evolutionary stage of Cybertronians, following in the footsteps of the Autobots and Decepticons, respectively. What sets them apart is their ability to transform into animals and birds, a departure from the traditional vehicle transformations of their predecessors. In the storyline of Transformers: Rise of the Beasts, these two factions have a longstanding presence on Earth, and it’s safe to assume that time-travel elements might be at play. Interestingly, the Terrorcons, the film’s primary antagonists, are typically associated with the Decepticons. However, in this movie, they appear to function as an independent group, with their sights set on hunting down Autobots and Maximals.
Watch the Transformers: Rise of the Beasts Trailer
The excitement surrounding Transformers: Rise of the Beasts kicked off with the release of its first teaser during Brazil’s Comic-Con Experience 2022 (CCXP). It provided us with our initial glimpses of the movie’s characters, both human and robotic. You can watch the teaser in the player above, and don’t forget to explore our comprehensive breakdown of the trailer to catch any hidden details you might have missed. Furthermore, a new TV spot for the movie made its debut during Super Bowl LVII, which you can view below:
Fast forward to April 27th, and we were treated to a brand new trailer for Transformers: Rise of the Beasts. This trailer, by far the most action-packed look at the film to date, promises an epic showdown of unparalleled proportions. Witness the trailer below:
Then, on May 8th, a clip from the movie was unveiled, providing a glimpse of what appears to be Optimus Prime’s initial encounter with his Maximal counterpart. This was swiftly followed by a new featurette introducing the fresh characters joining the Transformers franchise, as seen below:
Moving on to May 22nd, another clip from Rise of the Beasts was released, offering a sneak peek at Mirage’s introduction to Noah, providing the audience with a front-row seat to this moment. Have a look below:
Finally, on June 6th, we received the film’s final trailer. While it didn’t unveil a plethora of new footage, it masterfully highlighted the emotional reactions of the characters, leaving no doubt that the movie is poised to be a crowd-pleaser.
Regarding the release date, Transformers: Rise of the Beasts is set to hit theaters in the United States on June 9, 2023. Originally slated for release on June 24, 2022, the film’s premiere was rescheduled. Excitingly, IMAX tickets for Transformers: Rise of the Beasts are now available. Additionally, we’ve learned that the film has a runtime of 1 hour and 57 minutes (117 minutes).
When Is Transformers 7’s Release Date?
Transformers: Rise of the Beasts is gearing up for its highly anticipated release in the United States on June 9, 2023. Originally, the film was slated to premiere on June 24, 2022, but fans had to exercise their patience as the date was rescheduled. Now, the good news is that IMAX tickets for Transformers: Rise of the Beasts are already available, so enthusiasts can secure their seats for this cinematic spectacle. It’s worth noting that the film’s runtime has been clocked at 1 hour and 57 minutes (117 minutes). So, get ready for just under two hours of action-packed Transformers excitement!
Who’s In the Transformers: Rise of the Beasts Cast?
Get ready for an impressive ensemble in Transformers: Rise of the Beasts. The cast features talents like Anthony Ramos, Dominique Fishback, Luna Lauren Vélez, and Tobe Nwigwe, who are set to bring their skills and charisma to the big screen. But that’s not all; the voice cast for the movie is equally stellar, including iconic voices like Peter Cullen, the legendary Optimus Prime himself, along with the likes of Peter Dinklage, Pete Davidson, Liza Koshy, Michelle Yeoh, Cristo Fernández, John DiMaggio, David Sobolov, Michaela Jaé Rodriguez, and Ron Perlman. With this lineup, you can expect some truly captivating performances and memorable characters in this Transformers installment.
Who Are the Key Characters in Transformers 7?
Transformers: Rise of the Beasts promises an exciting lineup of characters, spanning three different factions of Cybertronians. Let’s take a closer look at some of the key characters you’ll encounter in the movie:
First, our human heroes:
- Anthony Ramos portrays Noah, a former military electronics expert residing in Brooklyn with his mother, who is wonderfully played by Luna Lauren Vélez.
- Dominique Fishback brings to life Elena, a highly skilled artifact researcher at a museum. She’s exceptional at her job but faces the challenge of her boss taking credit for her work, sparking her quest to stand out.
Now, onto the Autobots:
- The iconic Peter Cullen lends his voice to Optimus Prime, the Autobot leader who takes the form of a 1987 Freightliner FLA semi-truck. This version of Optimus is a newcomer to Earth, still in the process of becoming the Autobot we know and admire.
- Bumblebee, the trusty Autobot scout, transforms into a striking yellow and black 1970s Classic Chevrolet Camaro, voiced by Dylan O’Brien in Bumblebee.
- Pete Davidson voices Mirage, a flashy and fast Autobot with an attitude, often seen as the rebel of the group. He forms a strong connection with the human characters.
- Liza Koshy portrays Arcee, a fierce and loyal female Autobot warrior who transforms into a red-white Ducati 916 motorcycle. Gray Griffin voiced her character in Bumblebee.
- Voiced by Cristo Fernández, Wheeljack is an Autobot scientist and mechanic, similar to Ratchet from previous Transformers films. His alt mode is a Brown and White 1964 Volkswagen Classic Devon Camper van. Steve Blum voiced Wheeljack in Bumblebee.
- John DiMaggio lends his voice to Stratosphere, an Autobot soldier who transforms into a cargo plane, providing transportation for his fellow warriors.
Now, let’s meet the Maximals:
- Ron Perlman voices Optimus Primal, the Maximals’ leader, and a spiritual successor to Optimus Prime. He transforms into a mighty gorilla.
- David Sobolov voices Rhinox, a Maximal known for both his brawn and brains. His transformation turns him into a formidable rhinoceros.
- Michelle Yeoh brings Airazor to life, a nurturing female Maximal who you wouldn’t want to cross. She transforms into a peregrine falcon.
- Cheetor, the swift Maximal, takes the form of a cheetah.
And last but not least, the menacing Terrorcons:
- Peter Dinklage gives voice to Scourge, the ruthless leader of the Terrorcons, a trophy hunter, and the movie’s primary antagonist. He transforms into a Black Kenworth JF Logging truck.
- Michaela Jaé Rodriguez voices Nightbird, Scourge’s right-hand bot and a female Terrorcon. Her transformation turns her into a Nissan Skyline GT-R R33.
- David Sobolov also voices Battletrap, another formidable Terrorcon who transforms into an orange General Motors c4500 topkick tow truck.
In addition to these characters, Tobe Nwigwe takes on the role of Reek, and reports suggest that the Predacons, arch-enemies of the Maximals, will also make an appearance in the movie. With this diverse cast of characters, Transformers: Rise of the Beasts promises an epic cinematic experience.
When and Where Was Rise of the Beasts Filmed?
Transformers: Rise of the Beasts embarked on its principal photography journey on June 7, 2021, starting in the vibrant city of Los Angeles. However, this cinematic adventure didn’t stop there. The film’s production journey also took it to captivating locations across the globe, including the iconic Machu Picchu, the vibrant cityscape of Montreal, and the dynamic streets of Brooklyn.
Director Steven Caple Jr. marked the completion of filming with a celebratory announcement on October 20, 2021, which he shared with his eager audience on his Instagram page. The film’s journey through these diverse and picturesque settings promises to deliver a visually stunning and globally immersive cinematic experience.
When and Where Is Transformers 7 Set?
Transformers: Rise of the Beasts unfolds its story in the nostalgic backdrop of the 1990s, picking up after the events of Bumblebee. The narrative kicks off in 1994 and is expected to follow a straightforward chronological order, promising a compelling storytelling experience.
In terms of locations, this film takes our beloved Cybertronian characters on a globetrotting adventure. While specific details are still under wraps, we do know that a portion of the story unfolds against the breathtaking backdrop of Machu Picchu, adding an exciting international dimension. Additionally, fans can anticipate the possibility of revisiting Cybertron, delving deeper into the historic conflict between the Autobots and the Decepticons.
What Is Transformers 7’s Plot?
Transformers: Rise of the Beasts thrusts us back into the epic conflict between the Autobots and the Decepticons, but this time, it introduces a game-changing twist with the arrival of the Maximals, Predacons, and Terrorcons. How this will impact the ongoing war remains a tantalizing mystery. While there’s no official synopsis for the movie yet, we can piece together some educated guesses based on the characters unveiled so far. Please note that this is speculation, even though it seems quite plausible.
From what we gather in the trailer, it appears that Noah’s path crosses with Mirage, setting in motion a chain of events that leads him to encounter other Autobots. Meanwhile, Elena embarks on a quest for a mysterious artifact, inadvertently unearthing the long-hidden Maximals residing on Earth. With the return of the Maximals, it’s only natural that the Predacons aren’t far behind. This, in turn, draws the attention of Optimus Prime and his Autobots, who may see the Maximals as potential allies.
However, this reunion also attracts the menacing Terrorcons to Earth, possibly driven by a sinister agenda to hunt down these formidable Cybertronian creatures. As the narrative unfolds, we can anticipate a dramatic climax where the Autobots and Maximals unite forces to confront the formidable Terrorcons, forging an alliance that promises to finally rid the world of the menacing Predacons and Decepticons. While this scenario seems likely, the full story will only be revealed when we experience the movie firsthand.