- Everybody Wants a Piece of Jin Seon-Kyu in ‘Bargain’ Trailer [Exclusive]
- Why Doesn’t ‘And Just Like That…’ Want Carrie to Be Happy?
- This Was the Most Unexpected Moment on ‘Blue Bloods’
- ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3’ Post-Credits Scenes Suggest Even More Sequels That Marvel Has Yet to Announce
- ‘Invincible’ Season 2: Release Date, Trailer, Cast, and Everything We Know So Far
In the context of the strike of the Playwrights Association of America (WGA), ABC and streaming service Disney+ have decided to continue with plans to premiere the new season of “Dancing With the Stars” on next week, according to information from Variety.
“Dancing With the Stars” uses a crew of 500 and has a WGA playwright on staff.
Sources close to production say the show will comply with SAG-AFTRA rules, and the main focus is to not put the actors in a difficult position, as many of the cast members Season 32 is a member of the actors union. Another important consideration is ensuring that this large team will not be unemployed, the source added.
During the last strike in 2007-2008, “Dancing With the Stars” continued production and also rehired the playwright after the strike ended.
SAG-AFTRA rules allow actors to participate, as their contributions to “Dancing with the Stars” under the Network Agreement are not covered by the current strike. The cast of Season 32 includes many members of SAG-AFTRA, including Alyson Hannigan, Jamie Lynn Spears, Barry Williams, Matt Walsh, Mira Sorvino, Ariana Madix and Xochitl Gomez.
“Dancing With the Stars” often features videos in episodes to introduce cast members’ past television and film projects. Under the rules of the current strike, SAG-AFTRA’s past projects cannot be advertised or discussed, which could make it impossible to make videos about the actors’ pasts in “DWTS ” becomes difficult – but a source confirmed that this season will not include any images from past shows or movies to comply with league rules. (For example, don’t expect to see throwbacks from “Brady Bunch” introducing Williams for his rumba routine, and Hannigan won’t discuss her time participating in vampire slaying in ” Buffy” as she takes to the dance floor.)
“Dancing With the Stars” has recently become a topic of discussion on social media among WGA members. Over the weekend — as news broke of “The Drew Barrymore Show,” “The Talk” and “The Jennifer Hudson Show” pulling back on their planned comebacks during the strike — WGA members criticized “Dancing With the Stars”, noting that it is a WGA-sponsored show, which means there is a WGA-representing playwright on staff. WGA member David Slack’s tweet became popular, pointing out that “‘Dancing with the Stars’ is a show covered by the WGA. Their playwrights are on strike, and they can’t produce the show.” show without a landed playwright.” Other playwrights called the show “Dancing With the Scabs” or “Scabbing With the Stars.”
On Monday morning, former show contestant Cheryl Burke told Variety that she felt “Dancing With the Stars” should pause until the strike ends. “At the end of the day, we have to stay united because that’s the only way to make any significant change,” she said. “I don’t think it would be good for the show, it really is. I understand what they think and I understand. It’s an industry, but there’s no industry without the rest of the industry industry… I think they should hold on tight. I think we need to truly unite and not just say we’re united.”
After a month of delayed negotiations, the WGA will meet with AMPTP on Wednesday, marking the 140th day of the strike.
“Dancing With the Stars” is expected to premiere with a two-and-a-half-hour episode on September 28 on ABC and air concurrently on Disney+. This season marks the show’s return to ABC after a previous season airing exclusively on Disney+ and also transitioning to airing on Tuesdays after a long period of airing on Mondays.